Apr 16 2014
Every year we collect all of our cleaning supplies and set aside time to clean our home from top to bottom. One place we frequently forget to clean is our kitchen pantry. This year we decided to make our pantry healthier during spring cleaning. Here are the top ten items we recommend you get rid of during your annual spring cleaning extravaganza.
- Get rid of bottled salad dressing and make your own with oil, vinegar and spices.
- Ditch the sugary cereals and replace with healthier high fiber versions.
- Replace the mayonnaise in your fridge with Greek yogurt.
- Ditch the prepared meals in boxes like Hamburger Helper and start using your slow cooker to make healthier versions.
- Don’t drink those sugary sodas. Throw them out or give them away and replace with a pitcher of filtered water with lime, orange or lemon slices.
- Replace traditional pasta with whole grain versions that are healthier and even taste better!
- Throw away candy and pastries and replace with fresh fruit.
- Love those potato chips? You’ll love baked vegetable chips and whole grain crackers much more!
- Get rid of regular chicken broth and replace it with the low-sodium version.
- Give away the packages of microwave popcorn you’ve been hoarding and replace with 100 calorie per pack versions.
Don’t forget to check the expiration date of the items you do keep in your pantry and fridge. Throw out anything that has expired and replace with fresh versions. If you have products that are fresh that you no longer want to eat consider donating them to the local food bank rather than throwing them out.